Monday, March 26, 2007

Outdoorsy Adventure Club does Pt. Arena

This weekend was spent in the semi-wilderness...Point Arena to be exact, the smallest town in Mendocino County. Population: 474.

The purpose of the trip was to see the Honorable Mention Collective show, including Vetiver and Two Gallants. They had some really awesome posters for the show that I can't seem to find right now. On the way up to Pt. Arena, we took Stewart's Point Skaggs Spring Road, the craziest road (and longest name) I've ever been on. It was super windy without many barriers, and in a lot of places it turned into a one lane road. We nearly collided with another car coming from the opposite direction at a blind turn. I feel sorry for people who have to travel that road regularly.

We stayed in a kabin at the KOA kampgrounds. The kabins were surprisingly kozy. Ours was freshly shellacked and had the smell to prove it. For dinner we grilled some sausage and ate too much. The best part was the lighter fluid.

The show that night was enjoyable and all around what I would expect from a folk line-up. There were lots of hippie hipsters, to be sure. I call them folksters. We missed the Morning Benders because we were busy playing Pasoi/13 in the bar next door. Audrey and Mike caught a few songs and thought they were good. The first act I caught was Micahel Hurley, an older folk singer, a favorite of the locals apparently. He's got a thing for epic folk songs (which is kind of an oxymoron) and falsettos. The music was good, but what stuck in my head were lyrics like "I want six cups of teee-EEEEEEEEEEEEA, not one or twoOOOOOOOHHHH" and "I'llllllll paint a white horse, or a fire-breathing dragon" or something like that. Vetiver was pretty much what I expected, except better live. Brian was horrified when they turned into a jam band and the folksters started walking up towards the stage to dance. He claims they were twirling/spinning a la Grateful Dead fans, but there was no such thing. After the impromptu dance was over, Two Gallants came on. They're like Mates of States and Bright Eyes with a harmonica, but better than both.

The show ended pretty late, around 2 in the morning. I drove back because Brian was making drunken threats to kill hippies. Back at the kabin, Brian wanted to go use the hot tub. Audrey and Mike were tired and wanted to make out, so they went to bed. I was told to "Sack up!" and go to the hot tub, but ended up staying behind to tend to the raging fire I started with lots of lighter fluid.

On the way home, Brian discovered that a painted library makes the front page around town, I took pictures of stuff on Stump Beach, and we all fed ducks. Oh, and we stopped in Guerneville to get ice cream. Guerneville wasn't what I had expected. There are a lot more meth head looking guys and a lot less gays than I would have liked.

IMG_3678.JPG
IMG_3701.JPG
IMG_3746.JPG

2 comments:

Audrey said...

you should post one of the 23 photos you took of the duck orgy.

YZA said...

that would be inappropriate