Thursday, March 8, 2007

In the courthouse

god-bless-america


  • 9:01 am: In the jury assembly room now. I've been here since 8:20 or so. I just finished up a David Foster Wallace essay about a carnival in the Midwest. About 5 or 6 names have been called from the roomful of people here. Also, I just paid $6.00 for a one-day pass to go online here.

  • 10:36 am: So I was just in my first non-drill alarm. I was called into an actual courtroom for further selecting. The judge assigned to the case as briefing us on the background of the case when an alarm went off. No one was in a panic while leaving the building, probably because we've all been desensitized by all the drills. Everyone evacuated to the plaza across the street. It's gonna be real fun waiting in line to get back inside. One metal detector and a couple thousand people...hott!

  • 12:01 pm: Lunch time. I was granted hardship from the first case because it might last until June. Gyro probably wouldn't like that too much. I'm back in the jury assembly room awaiting another case...hopefully a shorter one. Selection starts up again at 1:15pm.

  • 12:29 pm: This dutch crunch roll that my sandwich was made on is the stalest thing I've ever bit down on.

  • 1:07 pm: Lunch is almost over. I'm bored out of my mind.

  • 1:59 pm: Chatted online for a bit, read for a bit more, now I'm actually starting to miss work. They called people for two court assignments, and I wasn't included in either one. The assembly room is almost empty now.

  • 4:ish pm: Home and jury duty free. The most horrifically boring day of my life. Thanks, America.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love that you're bloggin from the courthouse. And that you paid $6 to do so.

YZA said...

I'm dedicated to giving the people what they want.

uyen uyen said...

so exciting! what was the case about? hopefully 3,000 lbs of stolen coffee?

YZA said...

no, it was about a melting igloo

Audrey said...

oh my god. this is your most interesting blahg entry thus far

2:01PM rock out to 4-Non Blondes in my headphones on repeat

2:30PM take picture of plain beige wall with phone camera to post on my blog

YZA said...

i hope you catch mono. it would be the perfect trifecta

Audrey said...

hahaha