Friday, March 23, 2007

Britpop, Part I

I feel a bit nostalgic watching this video of Northside's "Take 5." It takes me back to my late high school/early college years when I was a total Anglophile. It was a time when I didn't mind paying $10-$15 dollars for an import-only single with one B-side or a whole album for $30. And driving an hour to the city almost every Thursday for Popscene was no big deal because it was fun and worth our time.

As for Northside, I consider them a poor man's Stone Roses. They never got as big, but their Madchester baggy sound is undeniable. Plus, the singer sounds like what Ian Brown might on a good day.

1 comment:

Guiancarlo said...

YEAH I REMEMBER SEEING YOU AND JASON STORM SO HIGH ON ECSTACY ON THE DANCEFLOOR AT POPSCENE. EVERYONE WAS TALKING SHIT ABOUT YOU INCLUDING ME. WE WERE LIKE, "LOOK AT THIS BITCH. HE'S GOT SOME NERVE TRYING TO DANCE WITH THAT FINE ASS MAN. WHO DOES HE THINK HE IS?