Saturday, January 20, 2007

New year, new things

I've been kinda going crazy buying new things for the house. When I first moved out on my own, I pretty much bought everything second-hand. Then IKEA opened and all my stuff was either plastic or partical board. I've recently adopted the belief that if I buy something cheap, even though it looks nice at the time of purchase, said item will crap out soon thereafter.

With this new doctrine in mind, I've been replacing things around the house with upgraded versions. Yesterday I got a simplehuman trash can for the bathroom to replace the plastic one I've had for years. Today I dragged Audrey with me to a Target in San Bruno and I got a new stool (which can be seen in the reflection off the toaster oven in one of the pictures below, a few canisters for rice/sugar/oatmeal/whatever, and an awesome new set of pots and pans. I can't wait to start cooking with these.

I'm also waiting for a new home phone, researching a good set of knives (any suggestions?), and will be soon looking for a new comforter and bed set.

new pots and pans
trash can

UPDATE:
What good are new pots if you can't pose with them?

IMG_2671.JPG

3 comments:

Why I'm still single... said...

I'm in the same boat... tired of Ikea stuff that will just crap out later. I've decided to take a woodshop class at city college. I want to make a solid oak armoire with two side bookshelves. none of this plyboard, and particle board poop

Why I'm still single... said...

i want to make this: http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/ww_shelves_cabinets/article/0,2049,DIY_14444_2277522,00.html

uyen uyen said...

buy nice or buy twice. j.a. henckels knives are the best. you really only need one really good chef's knife, i believe. unless you plan on deboning a chicken. in which case, a cleaver is a good idea.