Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Fruits and veggies

Recently I decided that my diet is not what you'd call "good." In addition to the sheer quantity of food a day, the quality of what I eat doesn't help (read: pastries with frosting/icing, candy, anything fried, etc.). After this realization (and the fact that I couldn't fit into my slim 29" shorts anymore), a change in diet was needed. This means that, yes, I will have to cut out all but three meals (with little snacks between each). For the first week, I felt hungry all the time (I know, I know. You're thinking I'm hungry all the way regardless...screw you!).

I started reading The Man Who Ate Everything by food critic Jeffrey Steingarten and at the very beginning of the book, he lists all the food that he wouldn't ever touch. These things included kimchi, Greek food (!!!), anchovies, clams, okra, and coffee ice cream. I thought: I would happily eat all these things, and quickly so. Then I realized my problem: I have no food aversions...at all. I'll eat anything. It's a great survival mechanism, but it also makes it very easy for me to over eat.

My game plan? Start eating more veggies and fruits. Fruits are easy because they're sweet and don't need much preparation. Also, work provides fruits, so all I have to do is go to the kitchen and pick out something that isn't rotten yet. I've also been doing pretty well with the veggies. I snack on cherry tomatoes and baby carrots. A favorite of mine has been kale, with some lemon juice and pepper. So far so good. Keep your chubby fingers crossed for me.

fruit 2
Kiwis, plums, and grapes.

fruit 1
Banana, apple, pear.

3 comments:

Nightcrush said...

Hm, 9:44...aren't you usually at work at that time? Also: yawn.

YZA said...

bastard!

bass said...

you will get diabetes.