Monday, April 7, 2008

A new hobby*

*I tried REALLY, REALLY hard to not use the word "sew" as a pun in the title. You're welcome.

Impulse buy of the week: sewing machine. Well, truthfully, it wasn't really that impulsive. I've always wanted one and have borrowed from friends for small projects. Besides a straight stitch, I don't know much more about a sewing machine.

After going to a couple of art shows recently, I've been inspired to start making things. This coincided perfectly with my desire for a sewing machine; I figured if I had a sewing machine, I'd be more motivated to create. One plus one equals two, so the research for the right machine started. There were a couple that I wanted that were completely out of my price range (but one did embroidering and had an LCD display...hott), and would have been ridiculous for me to consider.

After a few hours of research, the Singer 7444 turned out to be the perfect balance between value and features. It's a nice, boxy design with electronic controls. A test drive with a piece of fabric proved that it wasn't too difficult to use. So far, I love it. Hopefully it'll be used regularly, unlike other impulse buys I've made in the past.

Oh! I also bought a caddy for all the threads, shears, needles and bobbins I'll be buying in the future. God, I'm gay.

singer 7444
Love.

cloth with test stitches
A few test stitches. My favorite is the alternating squares.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It should have been, "Sewwwww, I have a new hobby..." Also, we already know how gay you are.

bb char said...

No. It should have been, "I'm sew gay". Or, "I'm sew not gonna make cut off dickies for bbchar".