Sunday, August 19, 2007

Eff the farmer's maket

The "eff" is for "forget."

Lately I've been seeing lots of veggies being harvested, including Joshua's giant cucumber, so my green thumb started itching to dig into some soil. That being said, it's not easy to find a good bit of ground for seed sowing in an urban area.

Lucie suggested community gardens, which I thought was a great idea. With enthusiasm, I started dialing all the numbers I could find. To our disappointment, every garden I called had a 3 to 8 year waiting list. Ridiculous! I also emailed a couple places, but had already given up the fight for a plot. Surprisingly, the person running the 25th & De Haro St. garden wrote back and offered us two "very small plots." Man, was I excited. I saw tomatoes, okra, pumpkins, and eggplants flash before my eyes...until I was told that those were all warm season vegetables. Fuck. Well, that didn't stop me from being excited.

Yesterday I went to see the garden with Audrey and even cleared off one of the plots. I also got a couple pairs of gardening gloves and a bunch of cool season crop seeds.

IMG_5214
Seeds w/ pretty illustrations

what?
Hangin' at the gate

zucchini
Someone else's zucchini

plot #1
One of the plots before it was cleared out

weeding the garden
Weeding the garden and shredding my hands

view from the garden
The view of the Mission, Noe Valley, Castro, and Twin peaks from the garden

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

as usual, another 'fascinating' blog entry.