Friday, January 4, 2008

Today might be the end of the world

I woke up this morning to a strange, loud whistling noise. It wasn't unlike a kettle that's ready. Once I became oriented, I realized it was the wind. Outside, a huge pool of rainwater collected at the corner of my block, something that's never happened before. See, growing up in California, I've never really experienced weather. Fifty degrees is way too cold, 80 is too hot. A 15 mph gust is too strong for comfort.

In the two blocks it took me to get to BART this morning, I became completely soaked. My umbrella was useless in the 40-60 mph winds so I put it away and secured my faux fur-lined parka hood. By the time I got to work, I had raisin hands.

I pray the huge windows behind me don't implode and impale me with shards of glass.

Picture 2

2 comments:

Audrey said...

you're so dramatic. i think we californians are spoiled by mild weather cause the news made it seem like the apocalypse and it didn't even seem that bad. i think inclement weather is kind of exciting since it's so rare.

YZA said...

oh, don't get me wrong. i love weather...hail, thunderstorms, hurricane-grade winds, all of it. just remember: sensationalism sells!